- Binding treaty: a brief overview
- Previous drafts
- Regional consultations on the Revised Draft (2019-2020)
- Debate the Treaty blog series
2014: In June, the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva adopts a resolution drafted by Ecuador and South Africa. An open-ended intergovernmental working group (IGWG), chaired by Ecuador, is established with the mandate to elaborate an international legally binding instrument on Transnational Corporations and Other Business Enterprises with respect to human rights.
2017: The Chair issues Elements for the draft legally binding instrument.
2018: In July, the IGWG presents the Zero Draft, followed by its draft Optional Protocol (an unofficial summary of the Zero Draft is available here). Stakeholders provide input on the Zero Draft during the fourth session of the IGWG in October 2018.
2019: The Revised Draft is published in July (an unofficial summary is available here, as well as an unofficial Spanish translation). In October, stakeholders provide input on content at the fifth session of the IGWG (see our coverage here).
2020: The 6th session of the IGWG will be held from 26 to 30 October 2020.
- Europe: Consultation organised by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL)
- Global: Global Campaign to reclaim peoples' sovereignty, dismantle corporate power and end impunity comments and amendments to the Revised Draft
From 2017 to 2019, the Business & Human Rights Resource Centre ran the 'Debate the Treaty' blog series, exploring the content and scope of the proposed binding treaty and analysing previous drafts. Explore our guest blog posts in this series to learn more from thought leaders across the field.
- 📄 Latest news on proposed binding treaty
- 📄 Intergovernmental working group sessions
- 📄 Statements, initiatives & commentaries
- 📄 UN Human Rights Council sessions
- 📄 Events by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre, Univ. of Notre Dame, British Institute of Intl. and Comparative Law & Univ. of Essex
- 📄 Side event at UN Human Rights Council, Mar 2014