Business & Children
Business & Children brings together in one place useful information about how companies are impacting children (positively or negatively). It covers a broad spectrum of issues ranging from child labour to child participation, sexual exploitation to education, to pollution and conflict zones.
How to use this Portal
- Navigate in-depth areas below to learn about issues, positive initiatives, alleged abuses, lawsuits and guidance materials
- Keep up to date on initiatives around the world in the field through our Business & Children Bulletin.
- Learn about key international tools and initiatives, including the Children’s Rights and Business Principles and the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child's General Comment No. 16 on state obligations regarding the impact of the business sector on children’s rights.
- Explore our directory of organizations working on children’s rights.
Business & Children has been developed to give practical assistance to people from all sectors in their work and decision-making, leading to better protection of the rights and welfare of children. In particular it aims to assist:
- companies: by providing guidance tools; examples of good and bad practice
- children: by raising awareness of the ways business affects their lives, in all regions
- NGOs: by highlighting their concerns & initiatives; providing information for their research and campaigning
- governments: information to help them protect against abuses by business; examples of government initiatives
- media: under-the-radar cases and issues they may want to investigate
- investors and consumers: information to guide their investment, purchasing decisions
Related stories and components
Pakistan: Widespread child labour, appalling working conditions & debt bondage reported at Balochistan mines
Author: Shah Meer Baloch & Hannah Ellis-Petersen, The Guardian
“‘Coal workers are orphans’: the children and slaves mining Pakistan’s coal”, 19 February 2020...
In February 2019, it was reported that the struggling waste management system in Kosovo, especially prevalent in the largest cities, was not only an environmental threat but affected some of the poorest and most vulnerable in Kosovan society - Roma,...
Global Child Forum call for feedback to inform white paper on children's rights issues (deadline: 19 July)
Author: Global Child Forum
...[Global Child Forum is] publishing a White Paper report that will identify the top ten children's rights and business issues that require urgent attention from companies now and within the coming years. To ensure our report will be based on evidence...
- Related in-depth areas: Business & Children
USA: Class action lawsuit filed against Nestle for child slavery on cocoa harvest in West African farms
Author: Emily Field, Law360
'"Sustainable' Nestle Cocoa Made With Child Slavery, Suit Says", 22 Apr 2019...