Quarterly Bulletin on Business and Children
Below are select introductory materials on abduction. Further reports from a wide range of sources are in the “Abduction” section of our site.
Key international standards
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights: Articles 3 and 13
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights: Articles 9 and 12
Key reports & guidance
The Past and Present of Corporate Complicity: Financing the Argentinian Dictatorship, Juan Pablo Bahoslavsky & Veerle Opgenhaffen, Nov 2010.
Employing Private Military Companies (PMCs) – A Question of Responsibility, Advisory Council on International Affairs [Netherlands], Dec 2007 [includes chapter on “Political side-effects of the abduction of private personnel” and the role of PMCs].
Report of the Expert Legal Panel on Corporate Complicity in International Crimes, International Commission of Jurists, 2006 [includes references to corporate complicity in “disappearances”].
Concerns, company responses & non-responses
Below we give examples of concerns regarding companies and abduction. In cases where the Resource Centre has invited companies to respond to allegations of misconduct, we indicate whether the company has responded.
China: Children abducted to work in brickworks in Shanxi, Jun 2007.
Dem. Rep. of Congo: Report & video document abduction of civilians for forced labour and sexual slavery connected to conflict minerals, Jul 2011.
International: Documents in court case in USA reportedly “illustrate in minute detail” how Richmor, Sportsflight & DynCorp (owned by CSC) assisted the US Govt. with its rendition programme, Aug 2011. Responses from CSC, DynCorp & Sportsflight; Richmor comments included in article.
International: Amnesty Intl. report gives details of private airlines & front companies allegedly involved in USA's practice of rendition - transferring people by means that bypass judicial & administrative due process, to countries where they are held in secret & can face torture, ill-treatment, Apr 2006.
Positive steps by companies
Related stories and components
Author: Keith Bradsher and Jeffrey Gettleman, New York Times
More than two dozen Chinese road workers have been seized by a Sudanese rebel group, Chinese and Sudanese officials said Sunday, underlining the risks for China in sending ever-greater numbers of its workers into some of the world’s most turbulent...
Several of Mexico's largest newspapers have stopped running advertisements for sexual services in order to further the fight against human trafficking. El Universal and its tabloid, El Grafico, will no longer print advertisements that potentially...
Author: Ian Cobain & Ben Quinn, Guardian [UK]
The scale of the CIA's rendition programme has been laid bare in court documents that illustrate…how the US contracted out the secret transportation of suspects to a network of private American companies…The…case concerns Sportsflight, an aircraft...
- Related stories: Documents in court case in USA "illustrate in minute detail" how Richmor, Sportsflight & Dyncorp assisted the US Govt. with its rendition programme, says Guardian article
- Related in-depth areas: Abduction - an introduction Apple 2012 supplier report Arbitrary detention - an introduction Latest Legal News Quarterly Bulletin on Business and Children
- Related companies: DynCorp
Author: Chris Kraul, Los Angeles Times
Thanks in part to dramatically improved security in recent years, Colombia has vaulted into the major leagues of global crude producers…[T]hat same success may be driving a surge in violent crime against oil workers flooding into areas formerly...
Author: Tracy Fehr, Enough, Free the Slaves [USA]
In eastern Congo today, the mines have become a source of not only conflict minerals, but also a source of human slavery. The mines of eastern Congo are run by multiple armed groups, many of whom have strategically attacked and raped civilians in order...
- Related stories: Dem. Rep. of Congo: Report & video document sexual abuse & slavery, including child slavery connected to conflict minerals
- Related in-depth areas: Abduction - an introduction Apple 2012 supplier report Children Democratic Republic of Congo Latest news on Children Latest news on conflict & peace Quarterly Bulletin on Business and Children Sourcing from conflict zones
Author: Manuela Kuehr, Colombia Reports
Several executives of the multinational oil company Ocensa are under investigation in connection with the kidnapping of a unionist and their alleged ties to paramilitaries, Noticias Uno reported Thursday. Unionist Gilberto Edgar Torres Martinez was...
- Related stories: Colombia: Juez ordena investigación por supuesta responsabilidad de los directivos de la petrolera Ocensa por secuestro y tortura de un sindicalista
- Related in-depth areas: Abduction - an introduction Apple 2012 supplier report Colombia Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace Oil, gas & coal Quarterly Bulletin on Business and Children Torture & ill-treatment
Author: Times of India
Twenty seven children, including nine Nepali nationals were rescued at Chittoor from a circus company. All aged between nine and 14 years, the circus company, Great Prabhat Circus, has been booked under the Child Labour Act for discreetly trafficking...
Author: Advisory Council on International Affairs [Netherlands]
On 23 May 2007, the Dutch government asked the Advisory Council on International Affairs (AIV) to prepare an advisory report on the employment of civilian [security] service providers in operational areas...Although it is not new, this practice has...
Response of Ford to allegations of involvement in abuses in Argentina during the military dictatorship (1976-1983)
Author: Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company is aware of the criminal lawsuit filed against former officers at Ford Argentina related to human rights issues in the ‘70s. Ford Argentina will keep a collaborative and open attitude with authorities and will provide all available...
- Related stories: Ford statement regarding legal claims brought by former employees who say they were kidnapped and tortured on Ford Argentina premises during the 1976-83 military dictatorship.
- Related in-depth areas: Abduction - an introduction Apple 2012 supplier report Complicity - an introduction Disappearances - an introduction Quarterly Bulletin on Business and Children
- This is a response from the following companies: Ford
Author: Amnesty International
Amnesty International today released a new report which exposes a covert operation whereby people have been arrested or abducted, transferred and held in secret or handed over to countries where they have faced torture and other ill-treatment...The...
- Related stories: Amnesty Intl. report gives details of private airlines & front companies allegedly involved in USA's practice of rendition - transferring people by means that bypass judicial & administrative due process, to countries where they are held in secret &...
- Related in-depth areas: Abduction - an introduction Apple 2012 supplier report Disappearances - an introduction Quarterly Bulletin on Business and Children