Related stories and components
Australia: Law Council and Association of Corporate Counsel release new guidance on Modern Slavery Reporting
The Law Council of Australia and the Association of Corporate Counsel realeased a new fact sheet to assist businesses in understanding their commitments under the Modern Slavery Act and to help them navigate reporting requirements.
Author: Oliver Balch, The Guardian
"US could become ‘safe haven’ for corporate abusers, activists warn," 5 August 2020...
- Related stories: Child labour case against Nestlé, ADM & Cargill will move forward after US Supreme Court declines to hear companies' appeal Nestlé, Cargill, Archer Daniels Midland lawsuit (re Côte d'Ivoire)
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Cargill Nestlé
Author: Mohamed Daghar, Institute for Security Studies
‘East African human trafficking rings expand their operations’ 30 July 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: Trafficking
Liberia: Communities express how cultural practices led to fear of reporting suspected cases of human trafficking
Author: Front Page Africa
‘Labor Ministry Takes Human Trafficking Awareness to Grand Cape Mount County’ 31 July 2020...
Australia: Govt launches online register of companies' compliance with laws against servitude, trafficking & forced labour
Author: Andrew Tillett, Financial Review
"Companies to face scrutiny over modern slavery", 30 July 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: Establishing a Modern Slavery Act in Australia
Author: The National Tribune
"Stronger enforcement and protection for migrant workers", 27 July 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response
Author: Human Rights Law Centre, Kingsford Legal Centre, & Caxton Legal Centre
"Joint NGO Submission on behalf of the Australian NGO Coalition", April 2020...
Indonesia: Media reports separate incidents of alleged forced labour, trafficking, & killings involving Chinese fishing vessels
Recent media reports cite separate incidents of alleged forced labour, trafficking, and killings involving Chinese fishing vessels. The first report by The Guardian concerns Long Xing 629 crew members, Sepri and Ari, who allegedly died after being...
Indonesian crew accuse Chinese fishing company of forced labour, human trafficking and maltreatment onboard tuna fishing vessel
Author: The Guardian (UK)
“‘Hold on brother’: final days of doomed crew on Chinese shark finning boat”, 7 July 2020...
- Related stories: Indonesia: Media reports separate incidents of alleged forced labour, trafficking, & killings involving Chinese fishing vessels
- Related in-depth areas: Maritime Industry and Human Rights: Fishing
- Related companies: Dalian Meng Xin Ocean Fisheries
In 2005, three individuals from an NGO filed a class action lawsuit in the USA against Nestlé, Archer Daniels Midland, and Cargill alleging they had been trafficked from Mali as child slaves and forced to work in the Côte d'Ivoire on plantations which...