Denial of freedom of expression
International standards & introductory material on denial of freedom of expression: click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
Russia: New measures tightening control over internet infrastructure, online content & privacy of communications will severely undermine human rights, says HRW
Author: Human Rights Watch (USA)
Russia: Growing Internet Isolation, Control, Censorship, 18 June 2020 ...
NGO and corporate members of the Voluntary Principles Initiative urge for respect of human rights in public security organizations
On 7 July 2020, corporate and NGO members of the Voluntary Principles Initiative released a Joint Statement on Policing and Respect for Human Rights. Following weeks of demonstrations around the world condemning police brutality and systemic racism...
Cambodia: Authorities block over 50 garment workers to march & seek intervention from PM in demanding their unpaid benefits following factory's closure
Author: Davin Sen, Khmer Times
"Laid-off factory workers prevented from marching to PM’s residence", 02 June 2020...
- Related stories: Cambodia: Garment workers protesting unpaid wages after owners closed factory demand action from H&M and Walmart, which they say bought from the factory
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Supply chain workers
- Related companies: Hana (Cambodia)
Cambodia: Independent media & journalists express their concerns about recent arrests and threats related to their reporting
Author: Narin Sun, VOA
"Cambodia’s Use of Incitement Law Chills Press Freedom", 03 July 2020...
Cambodia: ACLEDA Bank accuses three CSOs of defamation in its statement and urges govt to take action following CSOs' report on workers' inability to repay debt
"Cambodian Bank Demands ‘Action’ Against NGOs Who Say Workers Need Debt Relief", 02 July 2020...
- Related stories: Cambodia: Report shows garment workers struggle to repay debts during factory suspensions caused by COVID-19
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Human rights defenders & civic freedoms
- Related companies: ACLEDA Bank
Philippines: President signs controversial anti-terror bill into law, giving govt. more room to act against critics & opponents
Author: Pia Ranada, Rappler
"Duterte signs 'dangerous' anti-terror bill into law", 03 Jul 2020...
Cambodia: Phnom Penh Municipal Court charges a journalist over alleged incitement following his Facebook post criticising govt's response to COVID-19
Author: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea, Khmer Times
"Journalist charged with incitement in capital", 30 June 2020...