Torture & ill-treatment
International standards & introductory material on torture & ill-treatment: click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
In 2005, three individuals from an NGO filed a class action lawsuit in the USA against Nestlé, Archer Daniels Midland, and Cargill alleging they had been trafficked from Mali as child slaves and forced to work in the Côte d'Ivoire on plantations which...
Thailand: Ministry of Justice refuses compensation to human trafficking survivor claiming victim entered the country illegally
Author: Human Rights and Development Foundation
"Ministry of Justice refuses to compensate an injured person who is a survivor of human trafficking and rape, claiming the girl voluntarily entered Thailand illegally", 24 June 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: Business and Human Rights in Southeast Asia
Author: New York Times
"Esclavos no tan modernos" - 2 de junio de 2020...
“Estados Unidos sancionó a nueve compañías chinas por violaciones a los derechos humanos de los musulmanes uigures en Xinjiang” - 22 de mayo de 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: Últimas noticias legales
COVID-19: UN Special Procedures express concern over excessive use of force & call for protection of vulnerable groups
Author: United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights Defenders & other UN Special Rapporteurs and Independent Experts
"COVID-19 security measures no excuse for excessive use of force, say UN Special Rapporteurs", 17 April 2020...
Commentary: Canadian Supreme Court's Nevsun ruling coincides with other intl. developments to address corporate legal accountability of multinationals for human rights abuses
Author: Pushkar Anand, The Wire (India)
"Canadian Companies Can Now Face Litigation for Human Rights Abuses Abroad", 10 April 2020...
- Related stories: Canada: Supreme Court rules Canadian courts can hear case against Nevsun Resources for human rights abuses allegedly committed in Eritrea Nevsun lawsuit (re Bisha mine, Eritrea)
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Nevsun Vedanta Resources
Ethiopia: Mursi tribesmen recall imprisonment, torture & land-grabbing by state agents who allegedly protect Chinese-run sugar plantations & refineries
Author: Roc Morin, Vice (USA)
"Kidnapping, Torture, and Stolen Land: The Brutal Reality of Ethiopia's New Sugar Wars"...
Author: Roc Morin, Vice (美国)
- Related stories: 埃塞俄比亚：摩西族人回忆国家机关实施的监禁、折磨和侵占土地等行为，相关国家机关采取这些行动据说是为了保护中国人经营的甘蔗种植园和蔗糖提炼厂
- Related in-depth areas: 中资企业海外投资