Why environmental issues are human rights issues
Related stories and components
Cambodia: Cambodian, Thai and Vietnamese stakeholders urge Xayaburi hydropower developer to share information on its hydropower plant in northern Laos
Author: Vida Taing, Khmer Times
"Stakeholders visiting dam call Lao Hydro developer to share data", 21 February 2020...
- Related stories: Laos: Xayaburi Dam begins operations despite villagers arguing that dam will destroy their livelihoods
- Related companies: Xayaburi Power
Australian bushfire victims and Friends of the Earth Australia file an Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Guidelines complaint with the Australian National Contact Point against Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ Bank)...
USA: Federal Court dismisses climate change lawsuit brought by 21 children against the US government
Author: Umair Irfan, Vox
"21 kids sued the government over climate change. A federal court dismissed the case," 17 Jan 2020...
- Related stories: USA: Youth plaintiffs on path toward trial in landmark climate lawsuit against Trump administration
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
Author: Jay Green, Washington Post
Microsoft... announced plans to remove more carbon than it emits by ... “The scientific consensus is clear. The world today is confronted with an urgent carbon crisis,” Microsoft chief executive Satya Nadella said... “Each of us is going to need...
BlackRock announced on 14 January 2020 that it would make climate change central to its investment considerations. Citing the impact climate change has on the financial sector, BlackRock released a letter to its clients detailing the changes which...
Report finds top fossil fuel companies responsible for more than half of ocean acidification affecting coastal communities & marine life
Author: R Licker, B Ekwurzel, S C Doney, S R Cooley, I D Lima, R Heede & P C Frumhoff, on IOP Science
...[M]ore than half of the global surface ocean acidification is attributable to the CO2 emissions traced to the extraction, refining and combustion of fossil fuels and manufacturing of cement from the 88 largest carbon producers... Of these 88 major...
- Related in-depth areas: Climate change
- Related companies: Abu Dhabi National Oil Co BHP Billiton BP Chevron China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) Coal India (CIL) ConocoPhillips ExxonMobil Gazprom Iraq National Oil Company Kuwait Petroleum Corporation National Iranian Oil Co PDVSA (Petróleos de Venezuela) Peabody Energy Pemex Petrobras PetroChina (part of China National Petroleum Corporation) Royal Dutch / Shell (see Shell) Saudi Aramco Shell Sonatrach Total
Author: United Nations Global Compact, the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) and the We Mean Business coalition
"At COP 25, corporate climate movement grows exponentially as new companies announce plans to align with a 1.5°C future", 11 December 2019...
- Related stories: Company commitments: Mitigation
- Related in-depth areas: Mitigation
- Related companies: AmBev (part of Anheuser-Busch InBev) Anheuser-Busch InBev Carlsberg Breweries Chanel Décathlon Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ecolab Givaudan Henkel Iberia Lundbeck Multiplex Multiplex Construction Europe (part of Multiplex) Olam Red Eléctrica de España Siemens Gamesa Storebrand TenneT Tesco Univar
Cambodia: Investigative report shows that sugar land economic concessions lead thousands of indigenous people lose their land and trap into debt
Author: Moniroth Morm, VOD
"Plantations Skirted Laws to Amass Land, Driving Locals Into Debt", 13 December 2019...
- Related stories: Cambodia: Conflicts continue between Preah Vihear villagers & Hengfu Sugar subsidiaries, as locals accuse companies of taking land without adequate compensations
- Related companies: Heng Nong (Cambodia) International Co., Ltd. Heng Yue (Cambodia) International Co. Ltd. Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co., Ltd. Lan Feng (Cambodia) International Co., Ltd. Rui Feng (Cambodia) International Co., Ltd.
Author: Nat Levy, GeekWire
...[D]riving progress on addressing climate change is what’s best for the economic health, jobs, and competitiveness of our companies and our country... [W]e stand by our conviction that a commitment to the Paris Agreement requires a just transition...
- Related in-depth areas: Climate change
- Related companies: ABB adidas Adobe Systems Allianz Alphabet Aon Apple Atlassian Autodesk Bank of America Bertelsmann Brown-Forman Corporation Cargill Chobani Citigroup CMS Energy Coca-Cola Corning Dana Décathlon DuPont Ecolab Edison International Engie (formerly GDF Suez) Gap Goldman Sachs Google (part of Alphabet) Gucci Henkel Hilton HP (Hewlett-Packard) IBM IKEA InterContinental Hotels Kering Levi Strauss Mars MasterCard Microsoft Mondelēz International National Grid Nestlé NRG Energy Patagonia PepsiCo PG&E Public Service Enterprise Group PVH (Phillips-Van Heusen) Ralph Lauren Royal DSM Royal Dutch / Shell (see Shell) Salesforce.com Schneider Electric Stonyfield Farm Tesla Motors Thrive Global Tiffany Total Unilever Verizon Virgin Group Walt Disney Zurich
Cambodia: Forest and environmental activists claim Think Biotech involved with illegal logging; while company denies any involvement
Author: Chakrya Sophak Khouth, The Phnom Penh Post
"Think Biotech director Lu refutes activists’ illegal logging reports", 9 December 2019...
- Related stories: Cambodia: Government investigates allegations of illegal logging after reports from community, EU & USAID
- Related companies: Angkor Plywood Think Biotech (Cambodia)