Intl. investment agreements & policy
The global framework of international investment agreements and national investment policies can limit the protection of human rights. International organizations such as UNCTAD and the South Centre, NGOs, and academics have made proposals to ensure that these agreements and policies do not limit human rights protections, and can even provide greater protection of the rights of those affected by foreign investment. Some countries have developed policies in this direction and adopted some of these recommendations, in some cases renegotiating their international investment agreements.
To address these issues, this section of our site includes materials on the human rights impacts of:
- International investment agreements and policy – both bilateral and multilateral, and including investor protection provisions in trade agreements
- National policies on foreign investment, including export processing and special economic zones
Related stories and components
Bangladesh: Largest trade group campaigns for companies to honour purchase commitments as $30 million in orders canceled
Author: A.Z.M. Anas, Nikkei Asian Review
"Bangladesh goes to bat for textile industry as buyers scrap orders", 31 May 2020...
Commentary: Digital consultations amid COVID-19 pandemic demonstrate investment-opportunism & risks indigenous communities’ survival
Author: Sam Szoke-Burke, Thomas Reuters Foundation
Community supervision of mineral prospecting in Tsumkwe District West, Namibia “Land and resource investment consultations in the time of COVID-19: The hazards of pressing on”, 24 May 2020 [T]he Phili...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response Latest news on natural resources
On 13 May 2020, Norges Bank, which manages Norway's USD 1 trillion fund, announced its decision to exclude 12 companies from the Government Pension Fund Global due to environmental and human rights concerns. It placed a further four under observation....
Chinese contractors should adopt measures to mitigate risks associated with Belt and Road Initiative, experts say
Author: James Morris, South China Morning Post
“For Chinese contractors, Belt and Road Initiative rewards come with heightened risks in a changing world”, 28 April 2020...
- Related stories: Chinese contractors should adopt measures to mitigate risks associated with Belt and Road Initiative, experts say
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas