Policy Adviser - Gender
- Location: London
- Salary: £34,689 - £37,891
- Contract Type: Fixed term to 31 March 2017
- Closing Date: 02/08/2016
This role is central to driving forward Christian Aid’s commitment to gender justice, as one of our corporate priorities. The post holder will strengthen our policy analysis and research capacity, particularly in the area of gender and economic justice and work in close collaboration with our country programmes and other policy and advocacy staff to develop strong gender sensitive policy analysis across all our policy priorities, such as energy access, decent work and delivery of the SDGs. The role also entails working within Christian Aid’s networks, both faith based and secular, to promote the role that faith based organisations can play in bringing about transformational change for gender justice.
You will have excellent knowledge of debates around gender and development, and strong experience in designing and managing research projects, including carrying out and commissioning research. You will also have the ability to lobby effectively and successfully build relationships with key advocacy targets. You will have experience of working in networks, and be a good team worker with experience of working in a multi-cultural or international context. You will have strong written and oral communication skills, and be innovative and flexible. Ideally, you will have experience of working with faith based actors.
This role requires applicants to have the right to work in the country where this position is based. For internal candidates only, alternative locations will be considered.
We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in its workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, colour, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
You can expect a wide range of rewards and benefits, including a generous holiday allowance, a season ticket loan, and flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.
In your supporting statement, you are asked to demonstrate your suitability by giving answers to the following questions:
- What in your opinion are some of the key policy issues in regard to gender and economic justice that Christian Aid might be particularly well suited to develop, and why?
- Please provide an example where you have worked collaboratively with others to deliver a gender policy or advocacy initiative, preferably in relation to one of the key issues or a related one, that you have outlined above.
- What do you see as the particular opportunities and risks for Christian Aid as a faith based development organisation in developing a strong gender policy and advocacy profile?