Related stories and components
Author: amfori BSCI
... Indeed we know that one of Top Glove’s factories - GMP Medicare Sdn Bhd - did receive an amfori BSCI A rating in December 2019. However, it is important to note we have some concerns about the rating of this factory as well as the type of audit...
- Related stories: Malaysia: Top Glove denies migrant workers producing PPE are exposed to abusive labour practices & COVID-19 risk; Incl. responses from auditing firms
- This is a response from the following companies: amfori Business and Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI)
Malaysia: Top Glove denies migrant workers producing PPE are exposed to abusive labour practices & COVID-19 risk; Incl. responses from auditing firms
In June 2020, a Channel 4 investigation exposed evidence of migrant worker exploitation – including low wages, excessive overtime, illegal deductions from workers’ salaries, extortionate recruitment fees, poor living conditions and lack of social dist...
...Top Glove is a member of Sedex. As part of Sedex terms and conditions, we cannot disclose or discuss any information from Top Glove audits, and the data within these audits is owned by Top Glove......
- This is a response from the following companies: Sedex
Commentary: ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights ready to become a stronger human rights mechanism
Author: Eric Paulsen, The Jakarta Post
"AICHR ready to become stronger human rights mechanism", 13 June 2020...
South-East Asia: Research & webinar discuss legal frameworks to protect defenders against Strategic Lawsuits against public participation
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre & United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
"SLAPPs in Southeast Asia: Legal Frameworks to Protect HRDs", 12 June 2020...
- Related stories: Strategic lawsuits against public participation (SLAPPs) are on the rise, while resistance around the world mounts
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
Commentary: Govts & businesses can improve working women's wellbeing through actions based on the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
Author: Golda Benjamin (Business & Human Rights Resource Centre) & Kalayaan Constantino (Oxfam in Asia)
"Women at work deserve better from governments and businesses"...
Author: Free Malaysia Today
"AirAsia may lay off employees", 4 June 2020...
Malaysia: Employers ask more to time to comply with law requiring improved housing standards for foreign workers
Author: Hakimie Amrie Hisamudin, Free Malaysia Today
"More time needed to improve housing for foreign workers, says FMM", 1 June 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: Business and Human Rights in Southeast Asia
Malaysian Trades Union Congress's claim thirty thousand hotel employees lost jobs due to Covid-19; another union says figure is too high
Author: Jason Thomas, Free Malaysia Today
"Hotel union scoffs at claim of 30,000 being laid off", 31 May 2020...