Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Related stories and components
USA: Use of AI-powered monitoring software to help stop spread of COVID-19 in jails & prisons raises privacy & bias-related concerns
Jail and prison officials in numerous facilities in the United States are using technology driven by AI to monitor inmate phone calls to help prevent and solve crimes, as well as to scan calls for mentions of the coronavirus. One such software is Verus...
IBM will no longer develop facial recognition technology & CEO calls for dialogue about whether it should be used by U.S. police
Author: Jay Peters, The Verge
"IBM will no longer offer, develop, or research facial recognition technology," 8 June 2020...
- Related stories: Civil society & social media companies raise human rights concerns about Clearview AI's online mining of data & potential expansion plans Tech companies call for govt. regulation of artificial intelligence USA: Company executives speak out against racism following the killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor & Tony McDade by police Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Artificial Intelligence
- Related companies: Amazon.com Clearview Facebook IBM
New Report analyses human rights implications of contact tracing software used during the COVID-19 pandemic
Author: Maria Pia Sacco, Prof. Martijn Scheltema, Dr. Theodora A Christou, Anurag Bana, International Bar Association
"Digital contact tracing for the Covid-19 epidemic: a business and human rights perspective," June 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response Latest News
- Related companies: WeChat
USA: NGO sues facial recognition firm Clearview AI for violating privacy through data mining activities
Author: Davey Alba, The New York Times
"A.C.L.U. Accuses Clearview AI of Privacy ‘Nightmare Scenario,'" 28 May 2020...
- Related stories: Civil society & social media companies raise human rights concerns about Clearview AI's online mining of data & potential expansion plans
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Technology and Human Rights: Artificial Intelligence
- Related companies: Clearview Facebook Twitter Venmo (part of PayPal) YouTube (part of Alphabet)
Author: Deutsche Welle
“US sanctions Chinese entities over human rights violations”, 22 May 2020...