Senior Campaign Organizer (Fossil Fuel Company Accountability, Climate & Energy Program)
Union of Concerned Scientists
- Location: Washington DC, USA
- Salary: $59000
- Contract Type: Full-time
- Closing Date: 31/10/2016
The Senior Campaign Organizer advances UCS’s Fossil Fuel Company Accountability Campaign challenging major fossil fuel companies to meet emerging societal expectations for responsible action in a carbon-constrained world.
The Senior Campaign Organizer will lead strategic outreach efforts including:
- Lead the development and implementation of strategies and initiatives to mobilize targeted constituencies—such as socially responsible investors, shareholder advocates, and/or legal experts—in support of UCS’s campaign. Identify and cultivate potential champions and enlist their support.
- Oversee corporate research that results in materials suitable for public campaigning and short-term campaign asks to selected corporate targets.
- Manage, initiate, and/or coordinate high-level convenings, conferences, and symposia in support of campaign goals.
- Identify and communicate with campaign team regarding emerging opportunities.
- Directly engage with our corporate target(s). Develop and support corporate engagement strategies, materials, meeting preparation and follow-up. Monitor and analyze corporate and industry group responses; monitor corporate positions and actions to ensure adherence to commitments.
- Be a UCS spokesperson, raising the profile of the campaign on social media, represent UCS in high-visibility public venues, engage with the media, and conduct webinars for supporters and allies.
- Cultivate, coordinate, and manage relationships with national and international coalitions of allies necessary to advance our campaign goals. Ensure UCS campaign is well aligned with, and supportive of, complementary corporate campaigning strategies. Identify and cultivate new partners for UCS’s fossil fuel company accountability work among racial equity and climate justice groups.
Qualifications and experience
Five to seven years of comparable and relevant experience in both outreach and advocacy is required. Position requires extensive knowledge of and experience in effective corporate campaigning as well as knowledge of corporate business models, corporate political activity and influence, corporate social responsibility, socially responsible investing, and shareholder advocacy. Broad and deep knowledge of climate change issues, the fossil fuel industry, and major fossil fuel companies highly preferred. Strong and demonstrated management skills are essential, as is demonstrated ability in project management and budgeting. Strong writing, corporate research, and public speaking ability are also required. Master’s degree preferred.
May spend extended periods at computer terminal. Extensive travel (10 or more overnights per year) is required; may include some international travel.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff particularlyto broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. UCS is committed to building a workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking candidates who bring diversity of background and perspective to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Washington, DC office. For candidates who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $59,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, a short (1-2 page) advocacy oriented writing sample, salary requirements, how you learned about the position via email to [email protected] and include “Campaign Organizer” in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please. Deadline: October 31, 2016 or until filled.