Vale accused of illegal spying on employees & infiltrating social & environmental movements
Click here to see the Portuguese version of this page.
In April 2013, a former manager at Vale accused the company of illegal spying on employees & infiltrating social & environmental movements. At the time, Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited the company to respond to articles about the accusations in the following items:
- “Explosive Manager: Former employee accuses Vale of Espionage”, Veja online, (translation provided by People Affected by Vale, 20 April 2013
- [Portuguese] "Gerente explosivo", Veja online, 20 April 2013
In the last few months, NGOs and social movements also presented complaints to Brazilian authorities about the allegations of illegal spying and infiltration. In October 24, 2013 there was a public hearing held by the Commission for Human Rights and Participatory Legislation of the Brazilian Federal Senate to discuss the case.
The Resource Centre invited the company to respond again to recent articles related to the same allegations:
- “Brazil must investigate illegal spying and infiltration activities involving Vale S.A.”, International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), 25 October 2013
- [Portuguese] “Brasil deve investigar as atividades ilegais de espionagem e infiltração que comprometem a empresa Vale”, International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), 25 October 2013
- [Portuguese] “Vale é acusada de espionar funcionários, jornalistas e sindicalistas” , O Globo online, 24 October 2013
- [Portuguese] “Vale espiona movimentos sociais, sindicatos e funcionários, diz dossiê”, Agência Pública, 13 September 2013
Vale responded to both invitations:
- [PDF] Vale response (English), May 2013
- [PDF] Vale response (English & Portuguese), November 2013